There are three main types of Arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis – This degenerative joint disease is the most common form of arthritis and occurs when the protective tissue at the ends of bones gradually wears down over time.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – A autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks parts of the body causing chronic inflammation.
- Psoriatic arthritis – This form of inflammatory arthritis affects people who have the skin condition psoriasis, and causes joint pain, stiffness, and swelling. Even mild psoriasis of the skin can cause significant arthritis.
Facts and Risk Factors
Arthritis is common; 1 in 4 adults in the US are diagnosed with arthritis, equaling an estimated 22.7% (54.4 million) of adults.
- Arthritis is more prevalent in women at 23.5% than men at 18.1%
- Your risk for most types of arthritis increases as you get older.
- Joint overuse such a repetitive bending of knees for a gardener, or in a banker’s hand who repetitively counts money
- Obesity – additional weight puts additional stress on joints with the weight bearing joints such a knees and hip most vulnerable
- Genetics – Those with family members who have arthritis are more likely to get it as well.
Treatment for Arthritis
Practicing self-care and physical therapy can help alleviate symptoms. More sever arthritic conditions may require surgery.
- Physical therapy
- Weight loss
- Heating pad
- Ice packs
- Joint replacement surgery
- Pain in joints
- Bump on the finger or bony outgrowth in fingers or toes
- Tender, warm, swollen joints
- Joint stiffness that is usually worse in the mornings and after inactivity
- Decreased range of motion
- Fatigue, fever and loss of appetite
Arthritis is a chronic condition affecting the joints, muscles, tendons, connective tissues, and fibrous tissue and causes pain, discomfort, deformity, and many other unpleasant symptoms.
Don’t put off treatment that can interfere with daily activities. Receive expert arthritis treatment by Dr. Arturo Sobarzo in Katy, Texas.
Dr. Sobarzo provides safe and effective arthritis treatment using innovative treatments that help patients experience long-term relief, without relying on harmful medications or surgery. Our treatments are performed in the comfort of our office where our patients are treated like family.